Scheduling, accuracy, and low risk with a vertical startup are the markers of success for CAPEX projects. With consumer demand high and supply chain disruption complicating the market, executing on time, within budget and scope are critical for a vertical startup.
Challenges for CAPEX project execution:
- Stretched manufacturing resources and nonexistent expertise to execute complex capital expenditure managing project while maintaining day-to-day production
- Unavailable vendor management skills in the current workforce due to infrequent equipment installation – new equipment required safety standards and documentation
- Difficulties scheduling project milestones around the current production schedules
For successful projects, project management best practices and emulation bring together methodologies to eliminate the guesswork and discover the surprises up and down the line before the project begins. Plant floor projects are not executed in a vacuum. The complex interdependencies of manufacturing systems require a holistic view of the whole system to reduce production disruption and increase total line efficiency.
Best Practices for CAPEX projects with Vertical Startup include:
- Engaging a collaborative single-source partner to manage and execute projects
- Developing and deploying your solutions using proven project execution methodology
- Ensuring compliance to the scope, cost, and schedule
- Managing startup and validation while plant operations continue day-to-day production
- Implementing vendor-neutral solutions to leverage the marketplace
- Utilizing emulation technologies to create a Digital Twin Model using real-time programming and controls to test and validate new processes and programming.
- Applying emulation to conduct real-time virtual Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) before construction is complete.